Columbian Wyandotte?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Roward74023, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Roward74023

Roward74023 Out Of The Brooder

Hello, All! Long time lurker but first time poster here.

My small flock consists of 12 columbian wyandottes that I had purchased from a craigslist ad (I know...you take your chances there). They are approx 8 months of age, but ive just recently notices some greenish-blue tint to their tailfeathers.

Is it likely that they are a cross, or is this something I just didnt know about the breed?

Thank you in advance!

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you happen to have any pictures of the birds?

~Alex

3. Roward74023

[​IMG]

Thanks for the response! I know that the breeder also raises some type of green or blue egg layer also, if that happens to help in identifying.

4. Alexandra33

She looks like a Columbian Wyandotte to me, and very lovely! [​IMG]

~Alex

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It's a Columbian Wyandotte. Just not so sure about the age and gender. The one bird with just the back end showing is definitely a young cockerel. Approximately 3 months old, judging by those saddle feathers.

6. Roward74023

Thank you! My wife has grown quite attached (im sure ill have to build a chicken retirement village in the future...).

Its hard to see the greenish blue tint to the tailfeathers in the pic...I suppose its nothing to worry about and go ahead and breed the flock as pure?

7. Alexandra33

Provided I'm thinking correctly, the green sheen in completely normal. Black feathers tend to show some green, blue, or purple if the light hits them just right. [​IMG]

~Alex

8. Roward74023

Great...thank you both so much!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with junebuggena

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by