Columbian Wyandotte?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kari_dawn, Sep 23, 2014.

1. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    So, I have been watching this little chicken develop, and I am beginning to think maybe a Columbian Wyandotte since that is one of the possible breeds, but she seems to have a single comb...I guess hatchery stock wyandottes sometimes have single combs...what do you think? Here is the possible breed list, and her latest pictures...also, I am thinking she is looking a bit rooish in these pics... :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Excuse the mess...I plucked her away from her water for pictures!

Here is a shot of her single comb from when she was a bit smaller.

[​IMG]

These are the potential rare breeds from the hatchery: The rest of my order included a speckled Sussex, two easter eggers, a black copper marans, and a white leghorn

• Buckeye
    • Ancona
    • Easter Egger
    • Ameraucana (Wheaten, Blue, Black, Splash)
    • Black Sumatra
    • Andalusian (Blue, Black, or Splash)
    • Appenzeller Spitzhauben
    • Sicilian Buttercup
    • Salmon Faverolles
    • Golden Campine
    • Buff Chantecler
    • Blue Laced Red Wyandotte
    • Barnevelder
    • Brahma (Buff Brahma, Light Brahma)
    • Marans (Silver Cuckoo, Golden Cuckoo, Black Copper, Blue Copper, Blue Splash, White)
    • Dominique
    • Columbian Wyandotte
    • Dark Cornish
    • Cochin
    • Welsummer
    • White Sultan
    • Polish (Assorted colors)
    • Exchequer Leghorn
    • Speckled Sussex
    • Hamburg (Assorted colors)
    • Lakenvelder (Silver, Golden)
    • Partridge Penedesenca
    • Jersey Giant
    • Blue Orpington
    • Silver Grey Dorking
    • Egyptian Fayoumi
    • Black Langshans

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    They don't seem to be on the list, but my first guess would have been Delaware. It does look pretty hefty, so would keep an eye on it as a potential roo.

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    This was my first guess as well (Delaware), and I agree about the rooster comment.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree with Kelsie2290, it looks like a Delaware chick. What hatchery did you get it from?

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm glad I'm not alone, cause I looked at it and thought Delaware. That really looks like barring in the hackle/neck feathers, vs the solid dark color you'd see on a colombian bird. The leg color looks a little funky, too. Maybe speckledhen will come along and validate us, she's seen lots of Dellie chicks.

edited--with your choice of pure Ameraucanas, I'm guessing Meyer hatchery, and they do have Delawares. I'm pretty sure that's what you got. Maybe not rare, but a nice all-around bird.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  6. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I used mypetchicken (which is somehow related to meyer, but the time I ordered meyer birds, they were weak, and many died). I have never had a problem with them, and yes, I thought it looked like a delaware too...I even saved the pics in my computer as delaware 1 2 and 3, but then realize that was not on the list of possibles according to the hatchery list. I also think she looks like a potential he, especially next to my white leghorn, who has NO color in her comb yet, but I have learned to wait...it seems like in this phase, it is quite difficult to guess their genders. Many I was certain were roos turned out to be pullets once they got some more age to them. So, for now, it seems as if we all think (s)he is a Delaware, huh? lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by