Columbus Chicken!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cheeptrick, Oct 15, 2007.

1. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I've got this one chicken who I think is laying and hiding her eggs in the 'thick' woods behind the coop. Today I followed her and she was so hard to spot and blended right in to the fall scenery with her chipmunk colors. She was exploring every crevice under every log and I think this is where she has lain her eggs. Seeming that I did not have enough time to look for her cache with her...I picked her up and put her in the nest box. She's been exploring this part of the forest for quite some time now making the "I've laid an egg cackling show" out there every day for well over 2 weeks. Well...when I went to put her in one of the 6 nest boxes available they were all completely FILLED! One even had 3 chickens in it...which I think one is a rooster out of the trio. The one sitting in the box was all fluffed up like GET AWAY from ME roo and another was almost like protecting her blocking the other chicken from getting near her?
    My Columbus chicken who I placed in a nest box jumped and paced around almost like guarding and looking for eggs.
    Sorry....posting this is helping me work out the ROOSTER behavior.
    Anywho...maybe I should put one of the ticket number dispensers at the nest boxes like at the DELI!! I have more than enough nest boxes for my 24...guess they are just going to have to take a NUMBER!! [​IMG]

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    If it's not crowing by now, it's not a rooster. Some hens will show rooster-like behavior in the absence of a rooster. They take the dominant roll of the flock. You should confine ms. Columbus chicken to the area of the nesting boxes, maybe after some time she will forget about laying eggs in the woods.

3. cheeptrick

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Hi ChicknGurl...thank you for your response...
    I've 24 EE's and I DO have a Rooster in the bunch...I've got fertilized eggs to prove it. When there is an absense of roosters in a first flock there is NO one to teach the immature roo how to crow...some here have reported roosters not crowing for up to 2 years! Here is my link to my fertilized egg thread...
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18694
    Quote:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Hmm... maybe you have a sex-changed hen? lol, it's possible. I looked at the thread, I do see what you mean. The pictures to me looked like hens, but I'm not familiar with EEs/Ameracaunas to sex them. I have chicks of the same breed myself and I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what they are.

5. cheeptrick

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    You should see me following my flock around crowing like a rooster...which is something someone told me to do here! Teach a ROOSTER to crow! LOL I think they are playing a joke on me...still NO crowing after I've been crowing for months! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by