Comatose chicken. HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Quailchild, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Quailchild

Quailchild Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2013
    Our chickens have refused to go back into their coop and have been sleeping just out side it in this cold NE weather. Two chickens are gravly ill now. One is able to function but is lethargic, the other is comatose. I feel a heart beat, even if faint so I KNOW she's still fighting. No rigor mortis, her feet are stiff though.... Is i too late?

I have both hens inside near the heat. I have the comatose hen on a heating pad to try and stabalize her for now.

What should I do? Is there anything that can be done ?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If they're ill, keep them warm.
    Any idea why they don't go in the coop? Does it have good ventilation? Chickens will die from bad air quicker than cold.

3. Quailchild

Quailchild Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2013
    We have had a burlap tarp partially draped over the coop door to try and keep the cold air out. We think they got deterred and thus lingered outside. The flap has been removed and they're not back inside. But the comatose hen has passed. The other is getting stronger

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    So sorry for your hen :( Check out your coop. Something is wrong. Too much poop and ammonia, no ventilation, insufficient roosts or possible small predators like rats or weasels. What changed to make them stay out? You didn't use cedar chips I hope, they are toxic. I hope your other two recover. look at their poop and check their breathing while they are in. If they have runny noses or eyes, they may have a respiratory infection which may be linked back to the coop or wild birds in/around your coop. I hope you can figure it out. Post updates so we can help you as you go through all this.[​IMG]

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    X2
    Something's wrong. It takes a good evaluation to determine but we may not be able to help without lots more info.

It could also be a pathogen that infiltrated regardless of your management.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by