comatose, limber twisted neck, random head shaking, unable to eat, Help Please! VIDEOS & PICTURES AD

Pics

mommaschicklets

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2019
IMG_6011.JPG
IMG_6012.JPG
IMG_6014.JPG
IMG_6017.JPG
IMG_6018.JPG
IMG_6019.JPG
IMG_6020.JPG
IMG_6021.JPG
IMG_6022.JPG
IMG_6023.JPG
IMG_5963.JPG
IMG_5994.JPG
IMG_6009.JPG
IMG_5993.JPG
IMG_5993.JPG
IMG_5963.JPG
IMG_5994.JPG
IMG_6009.JPG
2 year old RIR hen, 4 lbs She is one in a backyard flock of 16, 14 hens. On Friday morning my dad noticed her standing alone head down in the run separated from the flock. He assumed she was frozen and died standing up. (I was surprised when he told me as it was near 30 degrees F that night and she had heat in the coop). Later in the afternoon my son got home first and went to get her to bury her and realized she was still alive. I made it home shortly after to find her limber necked, head hanging with random bouts of shaking her head out of control. Her eyes were open then. I called the vet and made an appointment for the next morning. We kept her in the house where she still is currently. Vet prescribed antibiotics for possible ear infection and gave her a 50% chance of survival. We also began syringe feeding her as she won't offer to eat even with scrambled eggs put to her beak. After a weekend of antibiotics and syringe feeding with no change and lots of research I decided maybe she has developed wry neck. I added vitamin E and selenium to her diet and ordered poly vi sol minus iron. The following day I added the poly vi sol to her diet. Tonight is the end of day 2 with vitamins and still no changes. We did have a set back for about a day due to aspirating some baby food. So sad. The vet assured me that the clavamox she is on would also treat pneumonia just in case. We keep a feeder full of layer pellets all the time in the run but my dad was giving them scratch grain every morning to give them something to do. We just learned that this is like dessert to them and not a nutritious habit. Possibly caused a vitamin deficiency.... The rest of the flock are fine. Her poo is white and green currently loose probably due to antibiotics. Still pooping at least twice a day. Should we put her down? Give her more time to come out of it? Change antibiotics? What is wrong with her? Please help
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjxCqmpEu6Tz3SiTk4juRQw?view_as=subscriber

Last edited:
I just don’t know. Sounds neurological, possibly like wry neck to me, too. I think botulism poisoning might also cause these symptoms. Could she have had access to a rotting carcass of any kind? I am bumping this up in hopes more help arrives.
Questions: How quickly would the vitamin E supplements begin to improve symptoms if it is way neck? And is there a certain dose needed for that? I am curious, and def pulling for OP. Poor little hen....

Questions: How quickly would the vitamin E supplements begin to improve symptoms if it is way neck? And is there a certain dose needed for that? I am curious, and def pulling for OP. Poor little hen....
Adequate levels of stabilized vitamin E should be used in conjunction with a commercial antioxidant and at least 0.3 ppm selenium. Signs of exudative diathesis and muscular dystrophy due to vitamin E deficiency can be reversed if treatment is begun early by administering vitamin E through the feed or drinking water. Oral administration of a single dose of vitamin E (300 IU per bird) usually causes remission.--https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/nutrition-and-management-poultry/vitamin-deficiencies-in-poultry

Back
Top Bottom