Comb and beak problems/Fowl Pox?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LyonsZoo, Oct 16, 2016.

1. LyonsZoo

LyonsZoo Out Of The Brooder

Hi!

I am new to chickens. Four of my chickens have something wrong with their combs and beaks. What is this? Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    That does appear to be fowl pox. That looks like the dry form. Check inside the mouth for lesions. The wet form is much more troublesome that the dry form.

Oxytetracycline can help prevent secondary infections during the outbreak. Outbreaks can last several weeks in one bird and several months as it works through the flock. It is spread from one bird to another through feathers, dander, scabs, and wound secretions. If you have unaffected birds than get them somewhere that isn't infected and clean the coop 100% out and spray with oxine. It will help kill of spores from the disease. It will just have to run its course in the affected birds and you just provide symptoms treatment.

3. LyonsZoo

Thanks for responding. That is what I was thinking it could be. Should I give them vitamins as well? I really don't have a place to put the others. I would have to let them free range and they would probably not make it around here. My hens just started laying eggs? Will this cause a problem and is it safe to eat the eggs?

4. LyonsZoo

Can I buy the oxine and oxtetracycline at Tractor Supply?

5. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    vitamins will help support them as they go through the virus. It will move through your entire flock one by one. Oxine usually has to be ordered online but tetracycline can be purchased until 1/1/2017 so make sure you get enough to last a while. The brand most tsc sell is 2.5tablespoons per gallon. I will include a picture of the bag. The eggs can be eaten when they are not treated. Once the antibiotics are given it is up to you if you want to eat the eggs. The withdrawal is 14 days after last dose for personal use, 8 weeks after last dose for sold eggs.

Egg laying will decrease while they are infected and they tend to lose weight. As long as it is the dry form they tend to recover just fine, the wet form tends to cause pneumonia and a whole host of other issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by