Comb and foot injuries, possibly more

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chalynm, Nov 5, 2010.

1. chalynm

chalynm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2010
    NW AL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Someone gave us this rooster today, and I'm a little worried about him. There's definite damage to the comb, which you can see in the first three pics. He also had some bleeding on the bottom of his toes, but I wasn't able to get a pic of that. I put a little neosporin on both areas, and I've checked on him regularly. Is there anything else I should do?

I'm not sure what caused the damage. My husband believes that the previous owner may have kept him in a low cage, which caused constant rubbing on his comb any time he stood up or walked around. I'm fairly certain that the toe damage came from the cage he was in when we got him. He was very distressed, running from side to side, and I think he hurt himself on the perches, which were square instead of round. He's also been sitting in the nest box furthest from the run most of the day. When I open the people door to check on him, he'll turn around with his head to the inside of the box, but he'll let me pet his tail without clucking or raising his hackles. I haven't tried anything more than that, since I'm not sure how he would react to me reaching for him while he's in such a small space.

Also, do his feet in general look ok? (4th pic) We only have black australorps, and this is the first flock we've ever raised, so I really don't know what's normal and what to be concerned about. I think he just moulted, but again, I don't know if this is the way he's supposed to look after moulting. Our girls have very smooth, soft legs and feet. Lloyd's are rough and hard-feeling. Also, the claws on both outer toes and very short and point up, instead of curving down.

TIA for your help!

2. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    As for the comb buy some wound kote from a local feed store. he appears toalso have scaly leg mites you can do some research on that here on the forums I like to use wd-40 to treat the mites. Tempo-sc is a good sprayto use in your coops on the walls ans areas chickens cant reach it has a 30 day residue that keeps Killing. You can lightly dust the nest boxes with food grade DE (mechanical pesticide) Or use sevin dust 5% to rid of anymore Possible mites or lice.

3. chalynm

Mar 15, 2010
    NW AL
    I was just reading that Brahmas should have orange or bright yellow legs. Lloyd's seem very pale, almost ivory, to me. Could this mean he's not a Brahma? Not a pure bred? Or just in very bad shape? Poor guy...I really think his previous owner did not treat him very well at all...

4. chalynm

Mar 15, 2010
    NW AL
    Just caught your reply, MMPoultryFarms. Could the mites cause the pale legs? I'm doing some research now...

5. MMPoultryFarms

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:yup also dealing with those pests now.

6. MMPoultryFarms

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    BTW I raise BBB and yes he is definatly in some serious bad shape looks like he was attacked by perhaps a more dominant roo.
    [​IMG]

7. chalynm

Mar 15, 2010
    NW AL
    So *that's* what they're supposed to look like! Gorgeous!

8. Redspeckledhen

Redspeckledhen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2010
    North Idaho
    I've got a banty roo that always roosts in a pine tree. His feathered legs were really red, rough and sore. They looked terrible! I suspected he had scaly leg mites. I slathered his legs with bag balm. A week later I did it again. His legs soon healed up and looked so much better and the feathers are now growing back. You might give that a try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by