Comb and Wattle reduced in size ...not laying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jaygood787, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Jaygood787

Jaygood787 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2011
    Maine
    One of my sex link hens stopped laying about 3 weeks ago , and Her comb lost alot of color and wattles just about shrunk down to nothing. I thought that she was molting, but It also has been actting strange , not hanging out with the others and kinda running around in wierd ways. Any one ? suggestions

2. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    Molting can be stressful on them and I have noticed some hens looking more tired than usual during their molt (ours are molting now too). Can you try giving her some boiled egg and see if that makes her happy?

3. Jaygood787

Jaygood787 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2011
    Maine
    how long will a molt last?

4. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    I have a hen going through the exact same thing. Just up the protein in her diet...they LOVE hard boiled eggs.

5. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    I think the molt is around 2 months, but it's our first time too so I'm not sure. I read that it varies a lot based on the breed and the individual bird. They usually don't lay eggs during the molt, so that would explain the lack of hormones to make the comb/wattles as red.

6. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    Yeah, they wont lay during molt...nothing to worry about there. I have a GLW that looks completely disheveled right now as she's going through a hard molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by