Comb and wattle stopped growing no eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by frenchseptember, Sep 29, 2016.

1. frenchseptember

frenchseptember New Egg

Sep 29, 2016
    Maryland USA
    Hey all I have a black Australorp and he comb and wattle started coming in early August but they just stopped growing and haven't grown in size since they started growing. She hasn't started laying yet either. Is this normal? I'm not sure of her age we got her in June and they said she should lay any day then. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. tmarsh83

tmarsh83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    NEIN
    Picture is a little blurry. Comb still looks pretty small, and there's some color in it, but it doesn't look like a rich red.

They lay in their own time. You can't rush them, you can't make them lay. She looks like a healthy bird, just keep watching for her.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

How old is your pullet?
    Most birds start laying between 18-26 weeks, some start earlier...or later.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  4. tmarsh83

tmarsh83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    NEIN

They don't know for sure.

1 person likes this.
  5. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

You never said how big she was when you got her, however if you got her in the beginning of June then she is over 17 weeks old. My day-old Aussie laid her first at 23 weeks, so if yours at least was partially feathered when you got her then she should be just about due. Give her a few more weeks. [​IMG]

P.S. Look for a reddening of those wattles and comb, that;s a sign that they are getting ready. Also if you go to pet her (assuming she is the friendly type) she may squat.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  6. frenchseptember

frenchseptember New Egg

Sep 29, 2016
    Maryland USA
    The feed store didn't tell me the age. I think she hatched in April. She was on layer feed and was mostly into her feathers (finishing molting just the first two weeks we had her) But the question is really that her comb and wattle have been growing and turning red for the last 6 weeks but the last 4 her comb and wattle seem to have not grown in size or color. Is that normal? We have only had sex links before and both, at diff times were murdered by a raccoon :'-(, combs and wattles grew quite quickly compared to the Australorp. We also just got a Delaware white hen who has a twisted toe. Not sure if that's going to effect her as she gets older. I know she has trouble perching but it doesn't stop her from trying and she only walks with a limp on hard ground, on the grass she is fine. She has a hard time landing after she fly's, but I think that's normal cause she is flying so fast and high. Because our Australorp has a hard time landing when her wings aren't clipped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by