comb becomes floppy and there is a colour change on comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bminer, Aug 18, 2011.

1. bminer

bminer New Egg

Aug 2, 2011
    Lola, a large slow-moving Amber link, about two years old, seems to be having some problems with her comb. No one is pecking it. No one is harassing her and she seems to be eating just fine. However, her comb which used to be vertical is now floppy, and the bright red colour is now more of a deep lipstick red. Any thoughts?

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Has it been hot for a long time in your area?

Big floppy combs can be an adaptation to prolonged hot weather because a chicken's comb is part of its cooling system. Here in Florida floppy combs are not uncommon since our weather runs to the hot and humid eight or more months of the year.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    A.T. Hagan :

Has it been hot for a long time in your area?

Big floppy combs can be an adaptation to prolonged hot weather because a chicken's comb is part of its cooling system. Here in Florida floppy combs are not uncommon since our weather runs to the hot and humid eight or more months of the year.

Very interesting chicken info! I was wondering about that myself. One of my favorite hens, "Flopsy" has the same issue. Of course she gets her name from the floppy comb! [​IMG]

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hagan is right, I would think heat or dehydration. I would put water out with vits and e-lytes. Maybe some ice cubes in the water.

5. dehydration.

6. bminer

bminer New Egg

Aug 2, 2011
    Thank you everyone. Yes it has been hot, but I make certain that there is water out in two different places so I think she has access to it whenever she wants. The girls free range during the day and seem to find cool places under my Hosta, well, the ones they have not eaten down to nubs anyway. However, Lola is a SPECIAL chicken and she just doesn't seem as sharp as her coop mates, sooooo maybe she just doesn't THINK about actually drinking the water. She gets up late and goes to bed before anyone else, I think life takes a great deal of effort for Lola.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Ha! My special chicken is named Lola too!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by