1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Comb bleeding - need some immediate suggestions - thanks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ttclan, Nov 6, 2011.

1. ttclan

ttclan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2011
    Estes Park, Colorado
    Hello all
    I hope someone is out there that can help me right now.
    We just got back from being out and one of my chicken's is bleeding on her comb. I have her quietly sitting here while I hope that you all might be able to tell me what, if anything, should I do?

It's not dry and looks like it's a fairly fresh wound.

Thanks...

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

The combs bleed a lot! You could put corn starch on it, that slows the bleeding. Don't panic, it probably looks worse then it is!

3. ttclan

Oct 20, 2011
    Estes Park, Colorado
    Thanks...I forgot that I had read that somewhere once! She's better...it's not deep and has stopped! Broken blood feathers brought me here months ago...and I found great help with that. Eventually I'll experience enough things with my gals that I won't panic anymore. I'm being just like being a new mama again, except with chickens not children! Ha ha.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I always keep styptic gel on hand for these emergency bleeds. It's a good thing to keep in the chicken medicine cabinet. You should get some for future emergencies.

Good luck with her.

5. ttclan

Oct 20, 2011
    Estes Park, Colorado
    Quote:Will do! I've been putting together a little first aid kit as I read and learn more. Thanks.

BYW - she's been doing fine and back with the others without any trouble.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by