Comb Care

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JD123, Nov 16, 2014.

1. JD123

JD123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2014
    Hello All,

This is my first winter with chickens. We live in north Jersey so we get pretty cold up here. I have Tetra Tints and they have reasonably sized combs. I have heard about using Vaseline on their combs to prevent frost bite. Is this something that is to be done daily, weekly, just when it is going to be really cold or only if it seems like the chickens are showing signs of frost bite. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

2. annabelle12

annabelle12 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Vaseline is used be some coming up to a cold night to prevent frostbite. The jury is still out on whether it helps or not and it seems like it can be messy. I would recommend focusing on making sure your coop is well ventilated to let out moist air. Try to keep the humidity under 60%. Droppings and chicken breath give off a lot of moisture when they are in there at night and that, combined with cold temps, is what causes frostbite. My single comb birds were fine in sub zero temps (with no vaseline!) in a coop that was uninsulated but well ventilated. Try a vent near the floor and roof to draw out the moist air, just make sure winds are not blowing directly on the roosting birds. If they have an area/run blocked off from wind during the day also, they will enjoy that. Good luck!

3. JD123

JD123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2014
    Thank you for the info! Moisture is something I am working on controlling. I have not though about a vent that is closer to the floor, I will have to try that. We use sand as a substrate but since the cold weather hit I put down quite a bit of pine shavings on top of the sand, I am hoping that helps with moisture as well.
    Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by