Comb color and appearance

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mi2bugz, Dec 12, 2013.

1. mi2bugz

mi2bugz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    My rooster has a pale comb that looks like it is dry. Is it something to worry about and/or treat?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would apply some miconazole or tolfinate cream to the comb in case it is a fungus such as favus. Is he molting or do you know why he is pale? Check him for mites especially under his vent--they can cause anemia. Is he acting okay, eating, or having diarrhea?

3. mi2bugz

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    I don't know if he is molting. If he is its a soft molt. I am seeing more feathers in the coop than usual. From what I read they do milt at 12-14 weeks and he is 13 weeks today. He had diarrhea but that seems to have subsided after using Corid. He seems to be acting fine, eating good and drinking. Doesn't appear to be in distress from it. We are in a cold snap (23-29 at night), no heat lamp. The chickens all cuddle together in one corner instead of roosting at night. Should I do the heat lamp again (just weaned them off of it last week)?

We are going to go get the ointments. Thank you!

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I guess he is pale because he's not mature yet--that's normal. Since he is young,it's probably not a fungus, probably just dry skin. I wouldn't put a heat lamp out if they are all feathered out. Make sure they have overhead ventilation in the coop--humidity is more of aproblem than cold. They will huddle and stay warm.

5. mi2bugz

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    Any suggestions on where to get miconazole or tolfinate (or is it tolnaftate)? I checked tractor supply online and they don't seem to carry any of them. Can miconazole from the women's hygiene department be used?

6. mi2bugz

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    Ok great! Thank you. Yes they have more than the 1 sq ft per bird of ventilation well above the roosts.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's tolnaftate. I actually meant to say clotimazole, but any antifungal cream will work for favus. Most of these can be found in the first aid aisle of Walmart, but the miconazole is in the womens aisle. But I would just put some vaseline on it for now--the more I look, I doubt if he has favus. It looks like dry skin.

8. mi2bugz

Sep 8, 2013
    Waxahachie, tx
    Ok thank you so much for the help and your time. I appreciate all the help from everyone as I am a newbie with LOTS of questions and everyone has been wonderful and patient!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by