Comb color changes in 2 out of 30 chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CHICKEN BUFF, Sep 8, 2016.

1. CHICKEN BUFF

CHICKEN BUFF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2015
    My big Cochin roo, Avalanche, started out with a BRIGHT red comb and wattles. Lately, however, they've paled considerably. They have not receded or changed shape, just paled to a very bland pink. I immediately checked him for injuries, thinking he must be bleeding somewhere!

No other chicken in my mixed flock of 30 has this problem EXCEPT Snowball, the Cochin hen who is the same color as Avalanche and a sibling. Her comb paled about the same time ... but not as much! They are both eating well, behaving normally, and Snowball is laying. Neither is molting. Their other two Cochin siblings have normal-colored combs. Someone suggested that since they're not very dominant in the flock (Avalanche is a shy beta roo), they don't have bright combs. I've observed that Cochins are extremely laid back compared to the several other breeds in the flock, but this doesn't really affect comb color, does it?

I'm sure there has to be something wrong. No problems with mites or lice (I checked), lots of diatomaceous earth used in the coop and nesting boxes, and in the dust wallows. I've never wormed my flock --- could that be the problem? But why isn't anyone else showing symptoms?

All the other chickens, including two other roos, have very bright red combs.

Anyone have an idea?

PS - the affected Cochins are 33 weeks old

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    How old are they?

3. CHICKEN BUFF

Jan 16, 2015
    ACK! Good catch --- I should have mentioned their age. The affected Cochins are 33 weeks old.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    So just over 8 months old. Could be that they may be heading into a partial molt. Happened with all my 8 to 9 month old birds last year.

5. CHICKEN BUFF

Jan 16, 2015
    I never thought of molting as a possible cause for pale combs. I'll have to watch them and see what happens!

6. DrKris

DrKris New Egg

Feb 5, 2015
    Check for mites feasting on them.

7. Fluffers

Fluffers Chillin' With My Peeps

my hen has done that, i give her more treats,(tomatoes,green beans,peas) and the next day she is fine.sometimes a pale comb can lead to a lot of things,they could be lacking nutrition.,do they have pasty butt?(dry poo collecting on rear end feathers)

8. CHICKEN BUFF

Jan 16, 2015
    I thought of mites, but no mites appear to be present. They get a lot of vegetables, including kale daily, and they have several fruit trees in their yard (it's a big yard). The pear is only just now finishing dropping fruit which all the chickens seem to enjoy a lot. I feed them a good laying mix plus scratch grain and sprouted grain as daily treats.

No pasty butt and the two affected birds are still acting normal, with normal appetites. It's been a couple of weeks, and none of the other chickens have developed pale combs -- but these ones aren't getting any brighter either. I'm seeing a few feathers in the yard and in the coop, so maybe it's in response to their first molt.

9. Fluffers

Fluffers Chillin' With My Peeps

you sound like you are doing very well,i'm not sure whats next, just keep an eye on them,if they start acting funny,do more research,keep us posted.how clean is the coop?how often do you clean it?if the coop is not cleaned out regularly,they could get ammonia.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by