1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Comb color question.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 2BD4C10C, Apr 9, 2016.

1. 2BD4C10C

2BD4C10C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    East TN
    At what age can I expect to see a bit of pink in my Auracana pullets comb? I have one pullet that is showing a bit more pink than the other three. They where hatched out March 6th

This is the one that has the most color:
    [​IMG]
    This is 2 of the others same age:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    The first one looks to be a rooster, and they are probably Easter eggers, not Auracanas.

3. 2BD4C10C

Jun 30, 2015
    East TN
    I got them from the local coop and they sold them as Auracanas and they where supposed to all be pullets. Dang it I hope it isnt a roo since I have no need of one and I love the color. :(

4. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer Premium Member

Your first one looks like a cockerl and your other two look like pullets. If it does turn out to be a cockerl, and you don't want to eat him or give him to a home that will, may I suggest rehoming or selling him on here? Placing in an add and simply saying you don't want him to go to a home like that. This site has great people on it, and in my own experience I have been able to find great homes for some of my birds. :)

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    The black/white coloration often indicates a cockerel in Easter Eggers. Easter Eggers seem to have a higher percentage of mis-sexed males than other breeds. A couple years ago we got 6 pullets, and 2 turned out to be cockerels.

6. 2BD4C10C

Jun 30, 2015
    East TN
    When will I know for sure/ not sure what I will do yet if it is a roo. I had to rehome 6 roo's last year that where supposed to be pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by