Comb development at 2 weeks?

Cyneswith

Songster
Jun 14, 2017
Camden, SC
Does comb development at this age mean anything?

My chicks are 2 weeks old today. My Australorps - no combs. My SLWs - the tiniest bit starting to extend back. My buff orpingtons - combs readily visible. One of my buffs.... it already sticks out past the down.

If this little one in particular is a guy, I'm gonna be scrambling to get more hens. (Oh man, they better not BOTH be roos! I can't afford a coop for 12 more birds...)

Chicken MAAAAAAATH!

Yes two weeks is too early. Occasionally I can tell a chick is a cockerel shortly after hatch, based on heavy long legs, posture, and attitude. That is fairly rare though. Comb doesn't have anything to do with it. Five weeks is usually when the differences between cockerels and pullets normally show up but a few can be early. Or some can be quite late. Some can leave you unsure for a long time.

Compare comb color to all the other chicks. The cockerels' combs will begin to "yellow" compared to the very pale, colorless appearance of the pullets. This color will progress from pale yellow, to deep yellow, then yellow-orange, then by age five weeks, you'll be seeing a definite red hue.

Back
Top Bottom