1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Comb development in different breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MTchick, Mar 21, 2007.

1. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    I have two Silver Laced Wyandotte chicks, and two Barred Rock chicks. They are all supposed to be pullets, and are all 3 weeks old. One of my SLW's has a very distinctly growing "single" comb (looks exactly like the BR new little combs) and the other has no evidence of a comb at all- more like my Ameraucana chick who is almost 4 weeks old and has no signs of a comb at all.

Here is a photo of the suspicious comb;
    [​IMG]

Here is a photo of the SLW with no comb development;
    [​IMG]
    Should I take this as one of the SLW's being a male, and the other a female, or is it more likely that the "single comb" SLW is actually a mutt of sorts, because I read that SLWs should have a pea comb. The comb chick in question has some funny color streaks, too, so I wouldn't be too shocked to find out she isn't a true SLW. Nor would it matter, really, because I love her just the same. [​IMG]

Just curious- does anyone have ideas?

-MTchick

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It probably has some other genes in it but it's kinda young to say if it is a pullet or roo. I say it is female but you never know because there are ton's of late blooming single comb males. Lets hope for girls!

3. Johnny0426

Johnny0426 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2013
    yep

4. Johnny0426

Nov 4, 2013
    yes

5. Johnny0426

Nov 4, 2013
    yepper