Comb development on Jersey Giants? PICS POSTED.

tikidoc

Chirping
15 Years
Dec 23, 2007
We have a batch of a mix of 5 breeds that are 12 weeks old, including 5 black Jersey Giants. I have figured gender out on everyone but the Jerseys. At what age should gender be clear? They are HUGE! Two have tiny combs (obviously hens) and the rest vary but the other 3 are gender confused! I will try to post pics, but how long should I expect to wait before it becomes clear? I want to try to get the pullets integrated with the rest of my hens (22 weeks old). They are all together (all my chickens) outside during the day but younger ones get separated at night.

Last edited:
I did and I can ASSURE you...Jersey's take a LONG time to mature. What takes other birds about 5 weeks to determine sex, can take a full 3 months to determine on Giants.

Can you post photos and I'll try to help you out.

Here is a recent photo of one of my giant cockerels. His comb is reletively small yet and is rather blackish in color. He is now 12 weeks old.

IMG_1563.jpg

I should add that in the same pen is an EE cockerel of the same age who is already crowing and has been for a few weeks. The giants have not crowed but are starting to act like boys. This particular male is very interactive with me.

Last edited:
Can you tell me how tall your JGs are? I have two birds that are supposed to be Australorps, but they just keep growing and growing and I am wondering if they are JGs even though they don't have yellow on the bottoms of their feet. They are both severa inches taller than any of my other birds (even though they are about 7-10wks younger), they have really thick legs and huge feet, but I know they are pullets. I don't have a way to put them on a scale, so I don't have any idea what they weigh. How big are your JGs compared to your other birds (if you have others)?

Here is a picture I posted in another thread a couple weeks ago. The RIR in the picture is about 21wks and the australorps (if that's what they are) are about 14wks.
2008_0911australorps0006.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom