1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Comb discoloration

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blackberri, Apr 30, 2016.

1. blackberri

blackberri Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Our rooster's legs were injured and feet became infected. He is on his second round of oral antibiotic (Baytril). His comb is now becoming discolored a shade of blue. He is lethargic and sitting in his enclosure. What is causing the discoloration and what should we do? The vet is not available until Monday.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you post any clear pictures? How were his feet injured? Was there any frostbite? Is he eating a drinking? He may need some extra warmth if he is very ill. Add some electrolytes to his water, and try to get some into him with a dropper or syringe. Offer him some chopped egg, tuna, or anythung he likes, in addition to his usual feed.

3. blackberri

blackberri Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Thanks for your prompt response. When the sun shone on his enclosure the comb returned to red color. So I'm guessing he was a little chilled. I'll offer some extra food items. Do you purchase electrolytes or make your own as an addition to water when chickens are ailing?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can make homemade electrolytes--recipes are on line if you Google TheChickenChick, or you can use Pedialyte or Gatorade. I like to keep some vitamin-electrolyte powder in my first aid box, since they are easy to find at most feed stores. On hot summer days with temps in the 90's, I will sometimes use them in the water to help prevent heat stress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by