1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Comb flopping to one side

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Justhatched, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    I have 16 chickens 12 girls and 4 boys. They are separated and have been for months. The boys are silkies an seemed stressed so we separated them. About 2 weeks ago I changed their food to layer. This is when I noticed some of the combs being droopy. All the girls comb are red and look fine just droopy. I read that some breeds have combs that do that. Some of the sex links comb are drooping and not the others. Our Buff Orpington and Buff Brahma's have rose combs and no droop. One of our Silkies has a single comb and is very droopy. I thought that it was getting pecked at but no blood or sores. I did notice a little white area on it. My husband said he was fine. Other than some of the combs being droopy they eat, drink, poop and play everyday. They are 5 1/2 month old. Should I be concerned?

2. Twiggers96

Twiggers96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    Arcadia, FL
    I just attended a 4H Poultry Club seminar and was told that laying hens should have droopy combs and roosters should not (with the exception of one or two breeds where the rooster should have a droopy comb).

If your ladies have not laid yet, maybe this sudden drooping of the combs means they will be laying soon!

3. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    Nope. Dark red combs and wattles indicate when a pullet(young hen) is ready to lay. Droopy combs depend on breed of chicken. I have some chickens that are supposed to be Tetra Tints, but they look suspiciously like full-blown leghorns. They all have varying degrees of droopiness. I have a Rhode Island Red with a comb that's a bit droopy also.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  4. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I have two Rhodies that are laying. One has a droopy comb and one has a stiff, upright comb.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:I'm sorry - That is so wrong! [​IMG]

The ONLY breeds that should have floppy combs are Mediterranean Class (Leghorns, Minorcas, Andalusians, etc) - All other breeds should not, in fact too much a droop or a fold in the comb is considered a Disqualification in show.

6. Justhatched

May 24, 2011
    I was mostly worried about them being sick or having a deficiency in something. So is it safe to say it's somewhat normal? Thank you for your responses.

7. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    yeppers! Normal! [​IMG]

8. Justhatched

May 24, 2011
    Quote:Great. Thank You.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by