comb genetics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by syble, Jul 11, 2011.

1. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    i haven't found a good page on comb genetic yet. single comb is recessive to other comb types from the one thing i read. what is dominant over say a pea comb?
    Thanks
    Sib

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:Rosecomb..

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Rosecomb..

No. Pea comb and rose comb are separate genes, that combine to create a walnut comb. Both are dominant genes. The recessive allele is the lack of pea comb or the lack of rose comb. There are also several other comb genes: trifid, V-comb, breda and some genes that modify the comb, such as making the surface smooth or spikey.

4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:Combs are complicated because of epistasis. I do not know how rose comb or pea comb interacts with duplex comb but I would imagine rose comb and duplex comb modify each other and so does pea comb and duplex comb. I will find out in the near future about rose comb and duplex comb. I plan on doing some test crossing.

Rose comb gene (R) is epistatic to all single comb genes- p+, d+ and dominant to the r+ allele

Pea comb (P) is incompletely dominant to p+ allele. And epistatic to the d+and r+ genes

Pea comb gene + rose comb gene = walnut comb both genes modify the expression of the other gene producing a third phenotype walnut comb

Duplex comb Dv is incompletely dominant to the d+ allele and dominant to the Dc allele and d+ allele.

duplex comb ( both v and buttercup) + rose comb =modified rose comb ( hypothetical) The Dc allele may show low percentages of penetrance

duplex comb ( both v and buttercup) + pea comb =modified pea comb ( hypothetical) The Dc allele may show low percentages of penetrance

duplex comb ( both v and buttercup) + rose comb+ pea cob = modified walnut comb (hypothetical) The Dc allele may show low percentages of penetrance

More later got to go to work

Tim

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  5. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    wow, that was over my head some... i have a breeding project in mind. to acomplish what i want, I have to take my base which is a pea comb and breed it either to a single comb or a rose comb. I just want something that i can breed out quicker. single comb i have been told is recessive to pea comb, so it would take a lot of test matings to make sure it was gone. if i understand right, rose comb if they carry it will be visible, so the entire f1 cross would be junk after i get some f2 as about 50% of those should be rose comb free yes?
    Thanks
    Sib

6. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:Genetics 101

The following will occur if all the organisms are purebred for rose or pea comb.

pea comb X rose comb= F1 walnut comb offspring

pea comb X single comb= F1 modified single comb ( weird looking comb) offspring

What are you crossing? What you do next depends on the variety of chicken you want to produce.

Tim

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I would like to add -
    Rose Comb x Single Comb = F1 Rose Comb
    F1 Rose Comb x Single Comb = a very narrow Rose Comb that tends to be over sized in height you will also get very wide somewhat short Single Combs.

* If fowl are pure for comb type.

Chris

8. Zombat

Zombat New Egg

Jul 13, 2011
    Can anyone provide any pictures of R + Dv or R + Dc cockerels?

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  9. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Pure D^v/D^v should look the same either what other comb genes (rose/pea) are present except for pure Breda Bd/Bd, which would be combless. Breda fowl probably are such (large nostrils).
    The D^v/D^v would have reduced comb mass and would look like the typical V-shape comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by