Comb Genetics

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by jhamblin, Dec 6, 2011.

1. jhamblin

jhamblin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    What combs are Dominant? And what if you crossed a rose comb with a single comb??

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Rose comb, Pea comb, are dominant over single comb

Quote:you will get a rose combed bird..

3. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  4. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:that is correct if the Rose combed bird was Heterozygous for Rose Comb(only one copy of it) [​IMG]

5. jhamblin

jhamblin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Alright!! Thanks!!

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:that is correct if the Rose combed bird was Heterozygous for Rose Comb(only one copy of it) [​IMG]

Right, but if the rose combed bird was pure for rose comb, the offspring would all be rose combed.

Pea comb and rose comb combine to give a walnut comb.

7. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011

Right, but if the rose combed bird was pure for rose comb, the offspring would all be rose combed.

I think that should be cushion, not walnut...

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Right, but if the rose combed bird was pure for rose comb, the offspring would all be rose combed.

I think that should be cushion, not walnut...

Nope. I don't recall all the additional genes that create cushion. But R/R P/P is walnut.

9. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:I think that should be cushion, not walnut...

Nope. I don't recall all the additional genes that create cushion. But R/R P/P is walnut.

Words from the Good Doctor..

R. Okimoto :

Walnut and cushion comb are the same things. There are modifiers that make a rose comb smooth or bumpy. Wyandottes have the smooth short rose comb coming into fashion. While rose comb bantams still have the long pointed rose comb with bumps on it. Cushion comb probably has the smooth modifiers.

The buttercup comb is due to another dominant gene D. The buttercup comb is less dominant than the Lefleche type two horned duplex comb. The alleles are called Dv for the most dominant duplex comb and Dc for the cup type comb. Dv is found in Polish and is associated with cavernous nostrils (big nose holes in the beak). The Dc allele seems to cut the single comb down the middle and makes two combs. The buttercup allele is probably responsible for the stag horn duplex comb found in some Houdans. The crest modifies comb morphology by shortening the comb and pushing it more to the forhead.

The standard states that Silkies have walnut combs, but the original silkies had a trifid comb. The trifid comb was characterized by Punnett as being a rose comb variant. He did not see pea comb in his silkie crosses and he was the one that determined the genetics of walnut comb, so if Silkies had walnut Punnett was the guy that should have known this.

There is a recessive combless type called Breda. The original wild Red Junglefowl had combless females. These seem to be extinct in the wild and the wild populations seem to have domestic blood in them now. There is still a line of Red Junglefowl in the US that has the original type.​

10. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i crossed a rose with a single before and got a pea looking comb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by