Comb has a large cut, a part of it hanging by a centimeter of flesh.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Miss Sebright, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Miss Sebright

Miss Sebright Little Hen.....Big Attitude!

Apr 3, 2009
    In a nutshell
    Ok, a few weeks ago, Opus got a small cut at the back of his comb. It healed up and was fine. Well, today I went outside and the back of his comb had an even larger cut. Well, the piece that is hanging is turning purple and dieing, and I know that I have to cut it off, but....
    I'm not squeamish about flesh or blood or anything like that---I'm a hunter--- but I don't want to hurt him. Advice?

Here's a example I made, my camera isn't working.
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Sebright

Apr 3, 2009
    In a nutshell
    Do I need special scissors or tools? Please, I want to make sure I do it right, and cause the least amout of pain possible.

3. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, you can cut it off with a pair of sharp manicure scissors or an exacto knife. You really need a helper to restrain the chicken while you do it. Cut swiftly starting in the cut that is closest to the skull and working outward. As soon as you've removed the flap of dying comb, use a gauze pad to pinch the cut between thumb and fingers to stop the bleeding. Apply Triple Antibiotic ointment to the cut to prevent infection. Reapply daily until you see it scabbing over and healing.

4. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    CAUTION: Be sure to NOT use a triple antibiotic ointment if it includes painkiller. Most of the triple-antibiotic ointments that say "+ painkiller" on the label use a -caine (novacaine, etc.) type when they include painkiller, but -caine painkillers are toxic for chickens especially if you use very much.

Maybe a less moist medicine (such as spray-on Blu-Kote or something?) would be best at first to help comb stop bleeding & scab over?

Best wishes.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  5. Chicken mouth

Chicken mouth Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2008
    SA, Australia
    Ouch! That looks painful, good luck with the cutting!
    Do you know what is causing the cuts?

6. MotherJean

I beg to differ with you SpeckledHills...Triple Antibiotic creams and ointments only contains: Bacitracin Zinc, Neomycin Sulfate, and Polymyxin B Sulfate. These are antibiotics - hence the reason it is called Triple Antibiotic Ointment. Wherever are you getting this product with an added anesthestic? Does it say on the label that it contains a painkiller?

7. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Quote:On the label of some triple antibiotic creams, it says "Triple Antibiotic Cream + Pain Relief." Those are the only ones you need to check carefully for -caine ingredients as far as I know. I'm sorry earlier post reads somewhat confusing. I'll try revising so it's clearer.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  8. MotherJean

Hmmm...new one on me. I've seen Neosporin with pain killer, but not Triple Antibiotic creams. Learn something new all the time. BTW, not disagreeing with you on the painkiller caution. Never hurts to repeat it.

9. Miss Sebright

Apr 3, 2009
    In a nutshell
    Thanks guys, and no, I have no idea what causes these cuts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by