Comb has Black places - Bloody??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by olbupp, Jan 29, 2017.

1. olbupp

olbupp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2014
    I'm in S.C. and yesterday my 3 hens looked fine - let them free-range a short time while I was with them in the sun although it was very windy. Today all three of various degrees of bloody looking combs - black places. I first thought something had attacked them but no sign of entrance into their mobile coop. We just moved them yesterday and they all looked fine. Temps here got around 28 with a wind chill of 20 degrees. They have been in the same coop and in much cooler conditions before....in fact, about 3 weeks ago we had a snow and much cooler temps.

I'll attach a picture - let me know what you guys think.

THANKS and wishing it were the sunny South!
    Debbie[​IMG]

2. fowlplayy

fowlplayy New Egg

Jan 28, 2017
    who's askin"
    To me it looks like another chicken was pecking their combs. Do your girls ever fight with each other?

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Looks like peck marks - so your "attack" may well have been an "inside job" -- no serious damage. Something set them off and it went downhill from there so that all three ended up involved.

4. olbupp

Mar 30, 2014
    They all three have similar marks - so, we had a hen fight, huh? I didn't see any other signs of aggression and have left them together for the day and hopefully night will be calm. I hope you guys are right. I read about Pox and that scared me, too. I will say, none are wet blood - just looks like dried blood. I'll keep an eye on them - I do have another quarantine pen but hate to put separate due to cool weather.

Thanks - input always appreciated!
    Debbie

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It may have been something as simple as a squabble about roost position last night - combs are fleshy and blood rich, and also very attractive targets when disagreements start -- so this sort of wound is pretty common. Fortunately, they heal quickly and generally (barring any sort of infection or excessive pecking) require no attention.

6. olbupp

Mar 30, 2014
    I tossed in some chickweed that I found that had just started growing when I put them in after free-ranging. I put it in three piles but that could have been enough to set them off....they love that stuff. Thanks for your advise and I'll be watching them!

Debbie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by