Comb injury

EIEIO_farm

Songster
Jun 3, 2018
0DD768A3-6C65-47F0-BAFC-23EA64D2C2A9.jpeg
F6DC45AD-B219-4641-A7CC-DDB7C7B5CBB2.jpeg
My 5 month old cockerel has a comb injury, it’s bleeding and part is literally hanging by a thread. What should I do??

Personally, I’d wrap him snugly in a towel, lay him across my lap and with a sterilized pair of tiny scissors I’d snip it off.
Hold pressure firmly for a few minutes.

Dab with styptic powder or flour if it bleeds.

Then apply antibiotic ointment for a few days.

It should heal fast.

The reason I would take this step is because I’d be afraid one of the flockmates might notice he has a boo boo and go after it and then It could get ugly.
I’d rather take it off and avoid that possibility.

Personally, I’d wrap him snugly in a towel, lay him across my lap and with a sterilized pair of tiny scissors I’d snip it off.
Hold pressure firmly for a few minutes.

Dab with styptic powder or flour if it bleeds.

Then apply antibiotic ointment for a few days.

It should heal fast.

The reason I would take this step is because I’d be afraid one of the flockmates might notice he has a boo boo and go after it and then It could get ugly.
I’d rather take it off and avoid that possibility.
Okay, yeah I think I’ll do that! We have a few other roos so I don’t want to take the chance of it getting worse.

Their combs bleed like a human scalp. A pin hole bleeds like a bullet wound.

Depending on how thin the thread is it’s hanging from, it may just die and fall off. If it’s really thin I would trim it off. Put something on it to stop bleeding. Styptic powder, corn starch, I’ve used flour.

Wounds like that are hard to heal just due to location. Unless you stitch it in place every time he shakes his head the wound will try to reopen.

Back
Top Bottom