Comb injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dove222, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Dove222

Dove222 In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2019
    So I only have two hands and one of them yesterday there comb gun injured pretty bad I'll have a picture of it but I'm not sure if I need to take her to the vet or where I need to cut or exactly what I need to do I feel so bad for her and I wasn't sure if I had to remove her from the other hen because they pretty much were raised together so if anybody can help me that would be awesome and I would thoroughly appreciate it

Attached Files:

CaramelKittey likes this.
  2. silkiemother

silkiemother Songster

Sep 14, 2018
    east wenatchee
    I would keep her separated because the other hen might have done it and she will peck at it and make it worse, and how deep is the injury to the head?

3. Dove222

Dove222 In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2019
    I posted a pic of it on here I'm not sure if it got posted or not I only have like to say A medium size dog crate that I could put her in but when I put her in there yesterday she just seemed like she didn't know what to do and just seems sad so I've been checking on her she seems to be okay eating and drinking just fine and the other hand hasn't picked up her done anything of that sort and I've never gotten into a fight since I've had them I think it was because of the chicken wire that I have to keep them in she got it stuck on that

Attached Files:

4. silkiemother

silkiemother Songster

Sep 14, 2018
    east wenatchee
    are there any sharp sticking out bits, your hens could have gotten caught on ? and you might be able to clean out the wound gently with some warm water to remove any debris that could still be in there

5. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    I would use veterycin spray or plain neosporin on it. It will likely heal up OK. Combs can bleed a lot, so may look worse than it is. You do need to protect her from pecking which will just make it worse. They are very attracted to red/blood, so if that's visible the other just will peck at it. Just watch for any signs of infection, there probably won't be. Rectify your fencing so it can't happen again. The back of the comb may be a bit floppy, if it detached a bit, but from the picture it doesn't look too bad. I had one nearly scalped behind the comb, she healed up fine. If you have a wire crate, put her in it inside the run so they are still able to see each other, it will minimize the stress for them both, but prevent her from being hurt until it's healed enough.

6. Dove222

Dove222 In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2019
    A happened yesterday and I cleaned it with soap and water cuz I Googled what to do cuz I had no clue on what to do so the only thing I have is chicken wire to keep them in their pen

7. Dove222

Dove222 In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2019
    Ok thank you

8. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    If you can get some 1/2 hardware cloth and put that around the bottom of your wire, that will prevent them trying to stick their heads through. Maybe some pictures of your set up will generate some suggestions. Chicken wire is not really predator proof either, so that may cause heartbreak in the future if something goes through it after your birds.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    CaramelKittey and Sequel like this.
  9. Dove222

Dove222 In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2019
    Ok I will look into that then and we never had any problem with Predators or anything like that I also have a dog that leaves them alone he doesn't even pay any attention to him he's very gentle so I'm not worried about Predators have been more worried about her hurting herself LOL but I will look into getting a cloth to put around so they don't hurt themselves anymore

CaramelKittey and Sequel like this.
  10. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Hardware cloth is actually metal mesh, see below. Many places sell it, comes in various sizes, widths. 1/2 inch squares or smaller is best for chickens.
    fencer-wire-hardware-cloth-fencing-ca23-3x10mf14-64_1000.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: