comb injury ????

Wetherwell

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 28, 2011
I just went out to check the girls to see if they've given me any presents .....errrr eggs when I noticed one of my girls ( I have 6 buff orps ) has a little bit of blood
hit.gif
on the "crack" that is between the comb and the head and it looks like her comb has been injured or pecked. It wasn't like that at 10:30 this morning when I went to gather eggs and was just out at 2 pm when I saw this.

We have a wire dog kennel set up as their "yard" and I'm thinking that is what could have done it or perhaps another girl being a brat ? The reason I think the kennel is because the door has a "boogered" spot at the bottom from the previous owners crazy dogs trying to eat the wire ~

Besides neopsorin is there anything else I can do ?

Noone else's combs look funny but hers so that's why I 'm thinking it's not frost bite but I've never heard of frost bite causing bleeding.

Thanks for any tips or advice~

I'm no expert but I think if you put BlueKote or RedKote on it - it will heal. Also I believe that Neosporin works too but your aren't supposed to put aspirin on them - do a search about Neosporin use before trying it to get info on what to use and dosage.

From your description it sounds like pecking or some other injury. I've found that even if not treated minor comb injuries heal rather quickly. If you do decide to treat, I agree that both Blu-Kote and Neosporin are your best choices. If your girl is getting pecked, Blu-Kote will hide the injury from your other girls while the injury is healing. Careful using Blu-Kote though - it stains clothes and hands and doesn't wash off easily.

Yeah Bluekote is a big mess. I used it tonight and I think I got just as much on me a I did on my pullet. I tried to spray thru a hole poked in a papercup to pinpoint the area more. But I didn't have a helper and things got messy.

The first time I used Blu-Kote I didn't know how badly it stained. My laundry tub was stained inside for several weeks until it finally wore off, and I was ashamed for anyone to see my bluish hands at work. Next time I use it I think I'll wear rubber gloves lol

Back
Top Bottom