Comb Injury?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by friedbluebanana, Mar 7, 2012.

1. friedbluebanana

friedbluebanana Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Hello all - Our Silver Laced Wyandotte, Doodle, has recently grown a horn! At first I thought it might be fowl pox because of the other black dots on her comb - but now I am thinking that they are wounds from being pecked? She was fine one day, and was not the next. She has no other symptoms. So, I am thinking that she has sort of...ripped her comb? It is starting to look as if the back part of her comb has been ripped, and is now sticking straight up, instead of laying flat against her head. Maybe she desperately wanted to be a unicorn? Anyway, I am not sure what is going on here, so any help is appreciated. If it is indeed a ripped comb, any advice on helping it heal, and keeping the other girls from pecking her? Thanks a bunch!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. friedbluebanana

Jul 20, 2011
    So, I got a better look at her today and her comb is intact all around the edges, so it doesn't look like she ripped her comb. Instead it looks like maybe a giant scab. Does anyone have experience with anything like this? Thanks!

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    She is obviously being picked at by someone. I am pretty sure the back part of her comb was ripped up and away from the head at some point. The comb should heal. The point may wither up and fall off instead, but I am thinking it's going to heal. A little carefully applied Blukote should mask the injury enough that the other birds stop picking at it. She should be fine once it heals. If you have a roo then I would be looking at him as the culprit who tore her comb in the first place.

Good luck.

4. friedbluebanana

Jul 20, 2011
    Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by