comb is bleeding..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hikerfrog99, Feb 26, 2014.

1. hikerfrog99

hikerfrog99 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    South Carolina
    Is there a medicine that I can spray on my hens comb instead of an ointment? It is being pecked on and I'm trying to help it but I can't catch her...

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Well until you manage catch her there is nothing you can do but once you do manage to do so put her in a cage to contain her and let her heal away from her attackers now it is important to get some medicine on the wound now depending on how bad the wound is there is some horse medicine you can pick up at your local animal feed store and it is a powder that you can put on cuts and it seals up cuts instantly .........

3. hikerfrog99

Jan 27, 2014
    South Carolina
    I will go to the feed store now and see if they have it. Thank you so much!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    They make a spray on Neosporin now, and BluKote is a blue antiseptic spray that is used to coat wounds to take away the red color so it isn't pecked. I would put her up for a day or two, and always remember that you can grab them off the roost after dark to doctor them. Putting pressur on something bleeding for 2-3 minutes will usually clot a wound.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  5. hikerfrog99

Jan 27, 2014
    South Carolina
    I purchased the blukote today. She looks funny being blue lol. I sure hope it helps. Thank you [​IMG]

6. gander007

Did you catch your chicken yet as it should be easy now that it is dark .....[​IMG]

And did you get to put some medicine on her comb ???? [​IMG]

7. hikerfrog99

Jan 27, 2014
    South Carolina
    I did not catch her but since they all come running when they see me I was able to spray her comb with Blukote and 1 other who had a little wound too. The two are a little blue now haha. See I had brought a cockeral home last weekend so it looks like they are trying to establish a new pecking order as some of them peck and chase him too. They have 400ft of fenced in free ranging area but they still stay right with each other and peck. I'm trying [​IMG] thank you for caring!

8. gander007

Oh ya the pecking order has caused more then a few wounded foul ,,,,,, just try not to get the spray in their eyes as it can cause irritation ,,,,, good luck with you flock [​IMG]

9. hikerfrog99

Jan 27, 2014
    South Carolina
    Thank you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by