comb is getting lighter in color

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by penquin, Feb 17, 2012.

1. penquin

penquin Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    I have 5 rocks and one of them is getting lethargic and her comb is no longer red, it has turned a pale orange. I noticed at night when all the others are up in their roost that this one will not go up, she just roosts above the nests. Any ideas as to what it could be and how to take care of it?

Also I have been getting an egg that has black streaks on it and I don't think it's poo, it takes alot of washing to get it off. I don't know if it's the same hen that has her comb turning light orange.
    Like to get some help if possible.
    There has been an update,,,now there are white spots on her comb.

Any suggestions would help.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  2. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    How old is she? What does her exam show? How is her crop? How is her abdomen? How is her vent? You need to isolate her and control what she eats and notice what she poops. Are her eggs a normal size? Lots of things for you to check out!

3. penquin

penquin Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2011
    Sorry kinda new to all this not sure what to do.

she is a little over 10 months now, her crop feels fine, she eats, drinks, her vent is okay, not sure about her abdomen. She lays eggs the same size as the rest, and her poop is fairly dark green with white mixed in..I checked her poop and it seems fine, I guess you would call it kinda tubular but no worms. She runs with the other chickens for treats, she kinda staid by herself for a day or two but has returned to normal today.
    Her comb is still a light color but is getting darker now. If she keeps getting back like she is now do I need to do something for her or just see what happens?

Thank you for your help though, I'll start checking them better from now on, thank you again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by