Comb is purple & I'm overwhelmed by searching other posts! Plz help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KennaBirdie, Jan 25, 2012.

1. KennaBirdie

KennaBirdie New Egg

Dec 6, 2011
    I'm a long-time lurker and first time poster. Sad that it's b/c I am SO worried about one of my girls!!! Please help!!

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) SLW hen. Just about 8mo. I'd guess about 6lbs. I don't notice that it is less than her 7 sisters.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Behavior is pretty normal. Eating fine, regular level of interaction w/ me and rest of flock, scratching around a lot, taking dust baths. She doen't lay yet,so that hasn't stopped. Concern: her comb and wattle are purple-ish. I have not seen her drink today.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? I noticed the color change in the comb late yesterday afternoon.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Not a clue. It did rain a lot yesterday, in the morning. I mucked their run a bit.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Org. layer feed, oatmeal, scrambled egg, mealworms, birdseed from yard, oyster shell, dried cranberries, ACV and garlic powder in water.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Haven't seen her poop.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Poly-vi sol/sugar/water mix dropped on beak.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Whatever it takes for her to live! Vet would be least preferred option.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Straw/pine shavings for bedding. Straw/sand/dirt/pine shavings all mixed up in run.

I know that the majority of what you all might share can be found by searching through other posts but I'm just finding bits and pieces here and there. I'm slightly panicked so I'm getting overwhelmed pretty easily right now. I hope y'all can understand.

Temps here are in 50's/30's. Not really windy. I'm wondering if I should bring her in for the night to monitor or if that would be more stressful? Seeing her poop would probably be helpful, right?

I appreciate everyone's support! I sure don't want to lose my girl. These chickens are my pets and BABIES!!!!

2. KennaBirdie

KennaBirdie New Egg

Dec 6, 2011
    Oh! One more thing....well, make that two.
    This past Sunday, I was sanding the stain off of some old furniture. I wasn't wearing a mask. Bad decision, I know. The chickens were hanging out around me. (They are always very interested in anything I am doing.) On Monday night, I started to notice that my chest was really hurting, almost like pneumonia or something. I've stayed home from work for the past two days and I have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow. I'm wondering if breathing in the dust from sanding the old stain could have caused a respiratory issue in my chicken and myself? I feel awful, thinking that I could have caused this issue with my sweet girl!!
    I just went out to close the girls in for the night and Tallulah (the chicken in question) was sitting in the doorway of the coop, not inside where they usually sleep. I wonder if she wanted fresh air, as opposed to dusty coop air? ( They don't roost so often the dust gets kicked up as the girls settle in.) From what I've read, respiratory issue could be the problem. Maybe I SHOULD bring her inside for the night?

3. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Bring her in for the night. Chickens have such sensitive respiratory systems she might have been affected by the dust. If the coop is dusty it could be making her feel worse.

I won't yell at you for not wearing a mask......I rarely do myself even though I know better. I hope the Dr. can help you tomorrow and tour girl gets through this.

When you're feeling better (if the coop is dusty) clean it out well and air it out.

Keep us posted.

4. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Give her fresh water and make her a treat like scrambled egg. Anything to get food into her. If she won't drink use a dropper and put a drop of water at a time on the top/side of her beak. Let the water slowly run into her mouth so she can swallow it and not inhale into her lungs. It will take some time to do this but she needs it. If she turns her head away don't force her.

5. KennaBirdie

KennaBirdie New Egg

Dec 6, 2011
    Alright, I'm going out to get her now. I plan on keeping her in the bathroom for the night.
    Should I put her in a big Rubbermaid tub or just let her roam free in there?
    Would a humidifier be helpful?
    I'll give her another egg.
    Should I try to get her to drink the poly-vi sol mix or just plain water? ACV or garlic in the water?

Thank you SO much for the help!! I really appreciate it! I welcome any advice at this point....

6. KennaBirdie

KennaBirdie New Egg

Dec 6, 2011
    Eeek! She drooled a little bit!!

I brought her in, made her an egg and plain water. She ate some egg and drank A LOT of water. I don't think she's a big fan of the olive oil that I cooked the egg in, so I also made her some watery oatmeal, mixed with some of her feed. She ate a good bit of that.

She pooped and it looked totally normal.

She is active and in very interested in engaging with me when I am in there with her. I was petting her and she had her head lower than her crop. She moved and spit-up/drooled a little. I smelled the liquid. It was not foul or anything, it just smelled like the watery oatmeal. Is this normal?!?! Her crop feels normal and very full like it usually does before she goes to bed.

I don't want to add additional stress by hovering over her but I am so scared! What should I be doing? Just leave her be or watch her? Whatever I do, I doubt it will involve sleeping much!

7. KennaBirdie

KennaBirdie New Egg

Dec 6, 2011
    PLEASE HELP! I think she is getting worse. [​IMG]

Her crop didn't empty during the night and now she wont drink. She keeps stretching her neck out and opening her mouth. I am so upset! I don't know what to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by