Comb issues!! (Pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by yellowxo, Nov 3, 2016.

1. yellowxo

yellowxo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2014
    Does anyone know what's wrong with my roosters comb? It is extremely dry and flaky, never saw it this bad before!! I washed him this summer with dawn and applied Vaseline a few times. Maybe that's the issue? Please help!! Also his waddles are also dry but not as bad as the comb.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

We had a rooster whos comb looked like that. Check him for lice/mites. They could be biting his comb.
    The dawn would definitely do it. If you used it alot then it would take a toll on his feathers too. I would maybe put a little melagel on his comb. Here's a link: https://www.melaleuca.com/ProductStore/Product?sku=3847
    You can put it on any cuts/wounds/scrapes, and I can testify to it's awesomeness. It starts healing anything almost instantly. Just don't apply to much, as it is very strong and can bother one's eyes.

3. yellowxo

yellowxo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2014
    @peepersmama

I just saw this reply! I applied coconut oil to him earlier in hopes it would help. I will recheck it tomorrow morning. Also, yes he did have mites :( poor thing. That is why I washed him in the summer. They came back and I took him to the vet and I am now applying a weekly powder to him. Thank you for your help! I will look into that!

4. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

Glad I could help. [​IMG]
    Coconut oil is another awesome thing for skin issues. When you wash him to get rid of the mites, you don't need to use soap. The first bath drowns the adults, and then I would recommend giving two more baths two days apart to get rid of any recently hatched mites.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by