Comb Nearly Torn Off!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by new2chickens2011, Feb 20, 2013.

1. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Hi all,
    Today when I was feeding my four hens I noticed that one, Ruth, had a torn comb! On further examination I saw that it was torn about halfway off and was just dangling there! Now I have been out of town for a few days and so this is the first day since Saturday that I have seen the hens in the daylight. So I do not know when this happened, but there is no fresh blood on the wound, it's just dark/black and dried.
    So what should I do? I can't just leave it hanging there....Should I go to a chicken vet?
    Thanks for any advice!

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I've never had that happen. I'd ask a vet what they'd charge for dubbing the bird. There are those who may know how to dub birds on this forum. I think that would be best since it won't reattach during the healing process.

3. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Look on the home page of BYC, on the top things that go around there is one on cutting nails, beaks and dubbing. It is very easy to dub. Have a look at the thread.

4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I have a link on dubbing but I doubt you would feel comfortable doing this. A good avian vet shouldn't charge too much for this procedure. He might use a local anesthetic for the sake of the bird.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by