Comb on it's side......

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by savingpurple, Jul 12, 2011.

1. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    My 16 week old white leghorn's comb is large compared to the other white leggorn I have. It is so large that it seems to fall over to one side. She is temporarily in solitary confinement due to being very aggressive with the other hens.

Question is, as I new to chickens, is this normal to have it flop over to cover her eye on one side? Or does this show a sign of something else?

She eats, drinks, and laid her first egg today.

Thanks.....

2. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    My brown leghorn does that too. My Ancona is supposed to loook like that, but has not yet.

3. Vedwards

Vedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Mine does too. And she's also the meanest of my girls.
    [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've had Leghorns before and yes, it's normal. My Barred Rocks are doing it too. I believe it's due to the heat.

5. savingpurple

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Yes it has been HOT and HUMID. And she is stressed being in solitary confinement for being so darned mean to the other hens. Praying it stops, and she can just get along and play nice.

Glad it is normal. Thanks....

6. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    My Road Island Red hens cone did that, as she got older it fell over more and more but her sister Road Island Red never had her cone fall over.

7. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Ive raised Leghorns and yes the hens combs all fold over like that. It has nothing to do with the heat. It's normal.

8. ChickenLord

ChickenLord Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    I hope this applies to our rooster as well.
    He is a 16 week old Cuckoo Marans, and his comb has started to flop. I didn't consider it a big problem, but that combined with his complete lack of crowing is giving me some concern.

Thoughts?

Thanks

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:It's not only normal, it's desireable in the Mediterranean breeds females. The males combs should not be lopped. Females of other breeds such as Rocks & RI Reds should not have lopped combs.

10. savingpurple

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Okay...feel better. thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by