Comb pale

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dmccann, Aug 13, 2010.

1. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    Yesterday i noticed one of my march 2010 hens comb is pale in color. I do not know if she is laying or not.She is off by her self more ,i did notice her drinking this morning.I did worm them 2 months ago.They have free choice shell, layer feed & h20 24/7. I give them straw to play in along with oats and sunflower seed. They also have a flock block,ac vinegar in 1 waterer.Also i noticed her stepping high. Any ideas? thanks

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I'd be interested in knowing what this signals. Two of my three brown leghorns have pale combs that now are scabbed. I haven't seen anything peck at them so I'm wondering if they're cracking? Can anyone direct us to a good thread on this subject?

edited for spelling error

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  3. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Check her for mites and lice, including scaly leg mites.

4. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I checked mine for mites and lice and found nothing on them. I found a couple of soft shelled eggs on the poop board yesterday. One Leghorn is laying just fine and looks fine. I don't know which of the other two layed the soft shelled eggs. These would be their first eggs. I put some seven dust on them just because I had them caught up and figured it couldn't hurt. I also put some Blue on their combs in case they've been pecked at....just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean it didn't happen. These birds are acting fine otherwise. They get a good diet and show no signs of illness. Don't know what else I can do except wait.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by