comb problem with rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenswag, Oct 18, 2014.

1. chickenswag

chickenswag Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2013
    Virginia
    My rooster Pudgy had a black spot on his comb that looked exactly like frostbite, but I'm not sure if it's cold enough for that to happen. Today I noticed it was looking a little sore so we brought him inside to look at it and took some pictures: (his comb is shiny because we put some neosporin on, it wasn't shiny before)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I can't that much from the picture, but it could be fowl pox or possibly favus, a fungal infection. Pecking wounds can also look dark as well as mites. You might try another picture when the comb is dry. Favus is treated with miconazole or mycostatin cream daily, which won't hurt if he doesn't have favus. Here is a series of pictures of favus: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...wattles-overtaken-by-white-growth-please-help

3. chickenswag

Jul 26, 2013
    Virginia
    thanks for your help!! i think it might be pecking wounds because it's looking a lot better since we got neosporin on it. i'll definitely be keeping an eye on him though!

4. chickenswag

Jul 26, 2013
    Virginia
    charged up my camera and got a better picture of his comb today. (the white stuff is just a bit of spiderweb stuck to it)
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by