Comb problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Melissa Ragazzi, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Melissa Ragazzi

Melissa Ragazzi New Egg

Jan 16, 2018
    hi! Does anyone know what is on her comb? I don’t think it’s frost bite. Thanks! Best picture I have.

Attached Files:

2. Welshies

Welshies Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    That is frostbite.

3. Melissa Ragazzi

Melissa Ragazzi New Egg

Jan 16, 2018
    I thought frostbite is darker? And this is the only chicken that has it out of 10.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It can look different in every chicken and depending on how long it has been there. Most likely the comb will become rounded off in a few weeks where it was affected. How cold have your temps been?

5. Welshies

Welshies Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Well, this is a chicken that has a large comb, so it's to be expected. Frostbite only turns black once the flesh dies.

6. Melissa Ragazzi

Melissa Ragazzi New Egg

Jan 16, 2018
    Very cold! We have been 15-0 a few days. They didn’t really come out of the coop. I tried to keep them as warm as possible.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. It looks like frost bite, but do an on site search on 'favus' and see what you think.

8. Melissa Ragazzi

Melissa Ragazzi New Egg

Jan 16, 2018
    It looks like favus would be very white and all over? Am I right? Hers is only on the top and more tan than white. I’ll see if I can get a better picture of it.

9. Chicken Whisper101

Chicken Whisper101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2018
    Monks Corner SC
    That's frostbite. Wow that's very cold. Do you have a heat lamp inside the coop?

10. Michael Propst

Michael Propst Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2017
    De Soto, KS 66018
    It will turn darker. Even taking some preventative measures I had 3 of mine get it during a week long period of single digit and subzero temps. Mine also looked yellowish brown at first and then turned black. I have been using a homeopathic salve Sierra Sage Animal First Aid to help sooth it and help healing. I have also started using it as a preventative protective barrier during our recent cold snap. I am adding some pictures of mine when first discovered and then 2 days later. Right pic is first Left is 2 days of treatment.

Dottie-Side-By-Side.jpg Dumpling-Side-By-Side.jpg Gloria1-Side-By-Side.jpg Gloria2-Side-By-Side.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by