Comb question!

chrissy528

Chirping
Apr 5, 2023
My BB Red OEB, Mable, is having a color change to his comb. The top back part is getting darker. If we were in the cold I’d think no circulation. However I’m in Az. Weather is warm at night and close to 100 in the day. They have iced jugs, ice water to stand in And ice in their drinking water. Multiple drinking sources and all in shade.

He is 14.5 weeks. I’m noticing he’s definitely coming into puberty. He keeps trying to grab the girls by their hackles on their necks. He even gets jealous if I hold one of the girls instead of snuggles to him.

Is this deepening of color due to hormones or wrong color direction indicating something else? Bruised maybe? Also what is the purple, blue white on his ear wattles? Also if I rub his comb it doesn’t hurt him.. he snuggles closer and falls asleep so not in pain. It looks purple at some angles. Couldn’t capture the purple in pics.

Attachments

• IMG_8590.jpeg
    IMG_8590.jpeg
    489.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8589.jpeg
    IMG_8589.jpeg
    512.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8588.jpeg
    IMG_8588.jpeg
    557 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8593.jpeg
    IMG_8593.jpeg
    682.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Sometimes darkening combs can mean internal issues, specifically organ failure. Not at all to say that is specifically what is going on here, but I think you are right to be concerned.

Any other adverse symptoms that you are noticing?

Hello!

All of the roosters with large combs that I’ve had always have a purplish/blue tinge, usually on the top and back. I think it’s normal, and it’s caused by the lack of circulation in the comb due to its size.

His earlobes look normal… do they look the same on both sides? I don’t think it’s anything to worry about, and you have a perfectly healthy cockerel! :)

Sometimes darkening combs can mean internal issues, specifically organ failure. Not at all to say that is specifically what is going on here, but I think you are right to be concerned.

Any other adverse symptoms that you are noticing?
No other symptoms at all. No behavioral issues where he isn’t being himself. Nothing.

Hello!

All of the roosters with large combs that I’ve had always have a purplish/blue tinge, usually on the top and back. I think it’s normal, and it’s caused by the lack of circulation in the comb due to its size.

His earlobes look normal… do they look the same on both sides? I don’t think it’s anything to worry about, and you have a perfectly healthy cockerel! :)
Yes he has it on both sides. Thank you so much! I do think he will have a larger comb than normal. His comb was large and in charge at 3 weeks. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom