Comb question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ninny, Oct 29, 2009.

1. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    What would happen if you bred a single comb bird with a rose comb? Like if you had a mixed flock of RIR with both combs?

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    You get some of each but the rose comb quality suffers.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Ditto !!!!!!!!

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    ninny:
    If you cross a Roes Comb and a Single comb the offspring should have Rose Combs..

Now if the parent stock on the Rose Comb side has Single Comb in it
    {not uncommon in RIR from what I been told} you should get Rose Comb and some Single Comb chicks...
    The thing I have found when you cross a Roes Comb and a Single comb is that the Rose Comb males Comb tends not be as nice as say a Good Wyandott's comb.

Chris

5. ninny

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    So i could do this and get both. If i wanted to improve the rose combs i could just breed rose to rose? Same with single comb. Would this be a good way to breed for both in the RIR and cut down on breeding pens or no?

6. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:Could you explain this in more detail. I have a hypothesis that the recessive no pea comb gene or single comb gene influences the rose comb gene. And if I interpret your statement correctly you are saying the recessive no rose comb allele (single comb) can influence the dominant rose comb allele and therefore the expression of the rose comb.

Tim

7. NYREDS

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Could you explain this in more detail. I have a hypothesis that the recessive no pea comb gene or single comb gene influences the rose comb gene. And if I interpret your statement correctly you are saying the recessive no rose comb allele (single comb) can influence the dominant rose comb allele and therefore the expression of the rose comb.

Tim

Yes, that's what I was trying to say.

8. ninny

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA

Tim

Huh? So in other words the rose comb will be kinda spiky? I have a hard time following genetics sorry.[​IMG]

9. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Rose comb is dominant so you would get rose combed birds.

10. NYREDS

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Sorry but I've done this exact mating trying to improve some RC Rhode Island Reds. You get both rose & single combs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by