Comb questions & genetics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Is one comb type dominate over another?

For example single + pea = ??

Or pea + rose = ??

2. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    In the examples I had, the pea comb was dominant over a rose. I had some EE hens that crossed with a GL Wyandotte roo and all the chicks (6) had pea combs.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Excellent question! I'll be curious to see responses.

All of the EE or Ameraucana crosses to single combs I've had were pea-combed, or sort of "modified" pea combs.

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Okay...

Because I'm working on two projects...one is a blue laced red cochin, the other, a blue laced red brahma. [​IMG]

I also have the figure out the base colors for my brahmas...I only have a light but may get a buff to start that one, with...

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Hmmm.....do you have any pics of the resulting combs?

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Pea and rose comb are separate genes. Single comb is the recessive allele to each.

A bird who is RRPP will have a walnut comb, as will one who is RrPp.

A bird who is rrpp will have a single comb. One who is RRpp or Rrpp will have a rose comb; one who is rrPp or rrPP will have a pea comb.

There are additional comb genes that also interact and cause such things as a smooth or rough surface, spikes out the top of the comb, lack of comb, Y comb, buttercup comb.

7. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:okay, I completely glazed over at the recessive allele part...can you dumb that down for me, please? [​IMG]

8. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Quote:okay, I completely glazed over at the recessive allele part...can you dumb that down for me, please? [​IMG]

Yea, I can tell you why a Cat 416 Shuttle Shift loader has no transmission gear clash when shifting from foward to reverse under power, but this is WAY over my head.[​IMG]

9. DukeDawg528

DukeDawg528 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    SouthEastern Kentucky
    I bred a Buff Brahma rooster to a Golden Comet hen and there combs came out to be a tall, un-even rose comb...

10. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    equibling, I don't have pictures, but I'll try to get some this weekend & send them to you Monday if that would be helpful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by