Comb ripped back on hen - how long does it take to heal?

HippieAtHeart

Peace, Love & Chickens ✌️
Mar 22, 2020
Southeastern Pennsylvania
I went out his morning and about 1/4” to 1/2” of her comb is ripped back towards her beak. I rinsed with water, dabbed diluted betadine on it and then put triple antibiotic ointment on it. I have her “separated” from the other chickens but she can still see them and interact to an extent. How long does this take to heal?

She keeps shaking her head too which makes me cringe because I’m sure it can’t feel good. I Have a feeling my rooster did it while mating, but it could also have been a nasty hen I have. Should I wait until it’s healed completely to let co mingle again?

Attachments

• F38D5F49-34B0-4F22-943B-71E8085E7F82.jpeg
    F38D5F49-34B0-4F22-943B-71E8085E7F82.jpeg
    400.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 305979F7-BD98-42DA-B600-17E488092CEE.jpeg
    305979F7-BD98-42DA-B600-17E488092CEE.jpeg
    782.8 KB · Views: 12
I would return her to the flock as soon as possible to avoid reintroduction fighting. I might also consider removing the rooster until she is healed.

Does it seem to be from a rooster or from an evil hen? This chickens favorite other chicken is my rooster so it’s hard to separate them. I obviously don’t want him to hurt her any further, but if it was him I know he wouldn’t have done it on purpose.

The only reason I think it might be from the hen is that I didn’t let them out right away this morning because of rain so they were outside but in the smaller penned in area I have her in now. It’s not where they spend their days but let’s then be outside before I usually let them out around 6ish. I have left them in all day before too and haven’t had an issue, but maybe today they were just not having it?

I’m thinking about giving her a little time to rest then opening it back up in a few hours. I feel so bad for this hen. She was attacked my dog (long story and you can find my thread if you want to see) but I managed to heal her back up. It just seems to be one thing after another for my poor Honey

Back
Top Bottom