Comb sexing chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bantu, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Bantu

Bantu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    USA
    My Coop
    Has anyone have experience with comb sexing new chicks. A older gentleman told me that males combs extend past the nostrils and females stop just before. I have 3 brand new babies that display this. If so, 1 roo and 2 pullets.

2. Bantu

Jul 21, 2016
    USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

3. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    I've never looked that close, but there might be some merit to that. Males do usually sprout combs way earlier, so I've always just been able to gauge by the presence of a comb in itself at 2-3 weeks.

Makes sense; I'll have to look closer when I have the next batch of chicks. Wonder if breed would make a difference? I'm going to have to go dig through some pictures and see if I can't spot it ha-ha ;)

*eta: I would say by your picture that it's accurate; that does indeed look like a cockerel chick with the spot on his head ;)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  4. Bantu

Jul 21, 2016
    USA
    My Coop

I was looking at the flock and it's true of my adults. Hens combs stop at the nostrils, my roosters goes past.
    I have these breeds in hens
    1. Barred rock
    2. Light Brahma
    3. Black sex link
    4. Dark Cornish
    5. Easter egger.

Roosters
    1. Black Copper Marans
    2. Gold laced Cochin.

5. ZuluRooster

ZuluRooster Just Hatched

Jan 14, 2017
    Durban, South Africa
    I have been battling with sexing my birds... only being able to sex them after a few months makes it difficult when choosing birds...

For example, I do not want to buy to many females, otherwise I end up with to many eggs. And I only want to buy males to keep my meat stock right. I get my chicks from a farm supplier at 1 day old, so using this technique will make my life less of a gamble and more of a "calculated risk".

Thanks.

K

6. Bantu

Jul 21, 2016
    USA
    My Coop

Keep us informed of your results. I would like to know how it goes. Too bad you're so far away. I had 16 roosters sent with my sisters pullets to keep them warm that I would have given to you she sure didn't want them. They are not allowed to have them . It's very difficult here to find someone to take roosters.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  7. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    very interesting. I will have to pay more attention my next hatch but I was going to say I would guess the middle chick a male because of the spot on his head.
    I raised some last spring that were supposed to be sex links and I could tell within two weeks easily but initially I had a hard time. Will see if this helps, even if it tips the scales a bit, that would be helpful.

8. Bantu

Jul 21, 2016
    USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Here's the ones I hatched. Should have taken photos of my sisters before she took them.
    The one with the spot whose comb passes nostrils. Does indeed look like a rooster. Comb is coming in fast. He's 4 days old.

9. Bantu

Jul 21, 2016
    USA
    My Coop
    I have 16 eggs in the incubator due to hatch on Feb 2. Going to record the results and post.

10. ZuluRooster

ZuluRooster Just Hatched

Jan 14, 2017
    Durban, South Africa
    Does the comb move down past the nostrils when they get older? Can the same method be used always? Would love to know... I am going to use cable ties to identify what I think is male and what I think is female. Left leg for male, right leg for female. If I ever process a bird and it's female then we will know it didn't work. If you are going to use cable ties (zip ties) as well, then make sure you change them before they get too tight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by