comb sexing.

bluefeather2697

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 9, 2011
i have 7 leghorn crosses about 3 weeks now. im waiting for their combs. what age usually i can tell the pullets from the cockerels by their combs? there's no sign of that yet. and by the way, 4 chicks have completed their wing feather growth now but the wings of the three still looks like day-old wings.

anyone?
hmm.png
hmm.png
hmm.png
hmm.png
hmm.png

Leghorn crosses
idunno.gif
Leghorns tend to show pretty early, I think it is like 4-6 weeks the boys combs are much larger and redder. I have only owned a few hens, so I would not consider myself experienced enough to know anything exact about differences in sex the breed at an early age. I am just relaying some observations from different threads.

Um... This story make me sound like a bit of an idiot but here it is anyway.

I hatched three Leghorn crosses back in the summer. At a couple of months they all looked exactly the same around the comb and wattles, and I couldn't see any signs of pointy male feathering, so I assumed they were all pullets. Then I kept seeing them sparring with each other, and got worried I was wrong, so I posted photos on here and the general consensus was that yes, they were all pullets, so I relaxed and stopped paying as much attention to them and just put them in with my main flock to mature. A couple of weeks ago I was expecting to be finding their first eggs any day, then I suddenly did a comedy double-take when I noticed one giving me the dirty stink-eye with its big huge comb sticking straight up instead of flopping over, and I realised it was actually a boy. As were the other two...

roll.png
I still don't know how I missed it!

I now have two more Leghorn crosses and they're every bit as difficult to figure out.

Back
Top Bottom