Comb size?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchickmom, Feb 8, 2008.

1. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Hi,
    I was wondering if those of you with Australorp hens that are laying, could post pictures.

I just want to compare how the comb and wattles should look so I can get an idea of when mine will be ready to start laying.[​IMG]

2. newchickmom

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    :)Hello!

I'm sure someone here has Australorp hens.

3. karmical

karmical Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2007
    Honeoye Falls, NY
    I do!!!

These two pics were taken at 25 weeks...they started to lay the next week. (How old are yours?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And these were taken after they'd both been laying about a month:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope those help!! Also, you can tell they're getting ready if they've started squatting. You can't miss it....if you run your hand over their back (don't even have to touch them) they squat down really fast and arch their back and pull back their wings. Mine all started laying a week to 10 days after the squatting started.

4. karri25

karri25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    Those chickens are so cute.I love them:)

5. newchickmom

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have 20 pullets and 1 roo. They are 19 wks old now. A couple of them have reallly red and good size combs and wattles. Also 3 or 4 of them are squatting for me already.

6. karmical

karmical Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2007
    Honeoye Falls, NY
    Could be any time then...the trend has been that everyone seems to be starting to lay a little on the late side, but it sounds like your girls might be getting ready.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by