Comb turning black, chapped waddle...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by festivefeet, Jan 8, 2010.

1. festivefeet

festivefeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Hi there.

I have a buff orpington who will be one in April. I live in MI (cold and snowy) and the hens have the opportunity to stay in the coop or go out in the run. For some reason this hen was outside still by herself last night when I went out to close the coop for the night. I put her in the coop and closed it up. They have a heat lamp in the coop.

When I went out this morning to let them out, I noticed that the tips of her comb were turning black and one of her waddles looks like it is chapped or something.

Any ideas what I should do, if anything?

Jessica

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Its called frostbite..most people massage the combs and wattles with vaseline!

3. festivefeet

festivefeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Could I use A + D ointment? It's made up of 15.5% Lanolin and 53.4% Petrolatum. Tube says it's uses are: It's used to prevent diaper rash, minor cuts and scrapes, burns, protects and helps relieve chapped, chafed or cracked skin and lips, helps protect fro m the drying effects of wind and cold weather. However, these uses are for humans, not specified for animals.

What do you think?

Also, I am not supposed to keep them in the coop in the winter am I? I have many friends who do not? They allow the chickens the choice.

Thank you.
    Jessica

4. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Yes you can use A&D. I am keeping my ladies in their coop and run but our temp is negative 4 right now! I know alot of people on here let them make up their minds on in or out! I would keep them in if frostbite has already occured...JMHO!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by