Comb turning blue in the tips

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mylittlechickpea, Sep 6, 2010.

1. mylittlechickpea

mylittlechickpea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I went out to go check on my chicken a few moments ago and I noticed her comb a little blue towards the back. I know this means a lack of oxygen, but I have no idea what could be causing this. She is bright eyed, perky, and being herself. She doesn't seem to be in any kind of distress. I noticed one of her nostrils seemed maybe a bit dirty. I was going to grab some q-tips and water and try to clean them out a little bit, but other than that I have no idea what may be causing her a lack of oxygen.

If anyone has any other ideas or advice please speak up. The sun has just gone down in our neck of the ocean so she'll be going to sleep soon. I am going to spend some extra time in the back when I wake up and see how she's doing and and how her comb looks. And give an update.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Heart problems can do this, but then, it could be something much less serious. Any update yet?

3. mylittlechickpea

mylittlechickpea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I went to see her as soon as I woke up this morning and well I guess she was a little off last last night, I just attributed it to the fact the sun was going down and she was getting ready to sleep. But this morning she practically mauled me when I went to the backyard. Bright eyed and curious as ever. So she's fine, and I'm hoping it's nothing more serious that may come back. When I cleaned her nose last night one side was about 50 percent clogged up. So she's doing great this morning. Thanks for your concerns [​IMG] When you mentioned heart I got a little nervous, she's only 5 1/2 months.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    So glad she looked so much better. Let's hope she just got a little trash in her nose that caused some mucus, or something simple like that.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by