1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

comb turning purple please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tingle, Mar 25, 2009.

1. tingle

tingle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Merseyside
    I have a serama cockerel 5 months old and when I went to get him this morning I immediately noticed his comb is very pale with a blue/purple hue it is uaually a really rich crimson he is kept in a dog carrier under the stairs at night but this has been his routine from getting him about 5 weeks ago he doesnt seem his usual cheery self what could it be and what should I do for him,I understand about cyanose,lack of oxygen etc but cant fit this in with his regime ANYBODY have any ideas,could it be diet etc.etc.etc.

2. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Check his vent area for lice or mites.

3. tingle

Mar 17, 2009
    Merseyside
    Nothing,all clear

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Frost bite? [​IMG]

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Chances are, with a pale comb, even a light blue, that he is wormy. A really good natural way to worm him is to mix a large amount of cayene pepper into his feed. Turn it red. Cayene in the front, worms run out the back. Chickens don`t have heat resceptors that other animals have and will eat the cayene readily. Repeat in one week to get the hatchlings........Pop

6. tingle

Mar 17, 2009
    Merseyside
    Thanks Pop I will try that,you have fantastic knowledge of poultry

7. tingle

Mar 17, 2009
    Merseyside
    Also just to clarify from another post,can I use ivomec super for cattle and sheep on the chickens? and what dosage Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by