Comb Turning White: Fungal Infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by IndigoChicken12, Oct 19, 2013.

1. IndigoChicken12

IndigoChicken12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2013
    A while ago, I noticed that one of my hens comb looks weird. It's starting to turn whitish, and I think it might be a fungal infection, because we have had a lot of rain lately. Between the tiny bumps on her comb, it looks like a white powder. I have tried to wash it off, but nothing happened.[​IMG] I was just wondering if anyone knew what this was, and any cures. Thanks![​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do a search on Favus, and see if that is the condition. Some have reported success treating the comb with Monistat.

3. R.M.Qureshi

R.M.Qureshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Lahore , Pakistan
    If you have Aloe Vera in your area try rubbing some juice from leaf . its very helpful

4. IndigoChicken12

May 5, 2013
    Thanks. I also heard that anti-fungal athletes foot cream works. Ok dumb question...if it wasn't a fungal infection but I used the foot cream anyways, could it harm my chicken at all?[​IMG]

5. IndigoChicken12

May 5, 2013
    Anyone? [​IMG]

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

No, it will not do any harm. It does sound like it could be Favus, I'd try treating it with Monistat. I've heard that it can be persistent so don't give up treating it to soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by