Comb turning white!

lagriega

Songster
6 Years
Sep 24, 2014
Wondering what is going on with my rooster....he seems to have some type of white on his comb and around the outside of his eyes.....He has also lost some feathers above the one eye and there is some swelling. I have posted photos of both sides. All of this has bee progressing slow on him. What might it be and what should I treat it with!
DSCN2258.JPG
DSCN2261.JPG
DSCN2247.JPG

That could be favus a fungal infection. Clotrimazole (Monistat 7) and miconazole (Lotrimin) are good to apply daily on the white patches. Wear gloves since fungi can be contagious.

Last edited:
That could be favus a fungal infection. Clotrimazole (Monistat 7) and miconazole (Lotrimin) are good to apply daily on the white patches. Wear gloves since fungi can be contagious.
Thank you Kim.....will do....wondering what might have caused this? Could being on an antibiotic cause this?

Fungus is pretty much everywhere in the soil, and certainly being on antibiotics or being run down could add to the ability of the fungus to cause infection. I once had a hen who had some white dots on her pea comb on occasion. They would come and go, and did not spread to other birds. Sometimes dry skin can look a lot like favus, but if it seems to be spreading, I would treat it.

Back
Top Bottom