comb type / size varies with cross?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by centrarchid, Apr 15, 2011.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have made multiple crosses involving American Dominique hens. Chicks now about two weeks old and showing characteristics I have not seen before.

First is Cackle Hatchery Dom (female) x American Game (male). Game is heterogyous for pea / single comb type.

Second is Privett Hatchery Dom (female) x California Grey (male). California Grey is homozygous for single comb type.

Comb of games which are homozygous for single comb are much smaller than that of California Grey.

Chicks of first cross phenotypically are either rose comb or what looks at this time some sort of modified pea comb. I expected this.

What I did not expect what the big beefy looking rose combs on the dom x California Grey. The combs are much bigger than normal rose combs of Privett or Cackle Hatchery doms. Ultimately I want small, tight, bright red rose combs that breed true. California grey looks to be taking me away from that characteristic.

How many genes are involved with size of comb?

2. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
  3. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    I am interested also, last year I crossed a heterozygous rose combed Wyandotte hen to a single combed rooster. All of the male offspring had quite large rosecombs with big hollows.

4. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    There must be some information that is more detailed than the chicken calculators. It is clear to me that many genes are involved. It would be nice not to have to work out genetic system by trial and error.

5. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:I know I saw a webpage recently with many comb modifiers listed by I lost my bookmarks and cannot find it now.

6. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Two images showing comb situation with Dominique crossed with California Grey. Combs are huge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by